Thursday, September 30, 2004

2 Pac, R U Still Down? [Remember Me] (1997)

After Tupac died, I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto hit the radio waves and everybody began to appreciate the hip hop musician the east cost loved to hate. This track went against almost everything Pac, as a rapper, stood for as we thought we knew. "If you're not from the town then don't pass through, 'cause some O.G. fools might blast you/ it ain't right but it's long overdue/ we can't have peace 'till them niggas get a piece too/ I want G's so you label me a criminal and If I die, I wonder if heaven got a ghetto." Then we all started to absorb lines like these from Pac and realized exactly who we had just lost. Then it all made sense, this IS what Pac stood for, great music.

This album is everything you expect from a Pac album all except for a couple misses, like Lie To Kick It and the corny as all hell Fake Ass Bitches. "They want to bury me, I'm worried/ I'm losing my mind, looked down the barrel of a nine and my vision's blurry," is just one of those lines I can't get out of my head from the head nodding Only Fear of Death. Joints like this are scattered all over the 2 discs included in R U Still Down? and it begs you to say "yeah Pac, I'm still down!" This is one of those rare albums that you can pull out of your collection years later and it will still feel fresh.

Rating: 7 Gold Teefs (out of 10)
Buy or Copy: A couple of weak songs might make you want to give this a listen through first so you can just copy the songs you like, but it's worth a look-see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory