Saturday, August 20, 2005

Capone, Pain, Time & Glory (2005)

Half of one of the best and most underrated hip-hop duos to ever do it, Capone emerges with an album all his own. The Queensbridge Housing native swings and misses in terms of sales receipts and doesn't pass the gangtas' litmus test either. Serious flaws in mastering plague the overall quality and production and Capone's flow slips all throughout PTG. The few bright spots hardly carry this title at all either. Capone's partner in rhyme is also noticeably absent here, probably due to differences, which is a shame because Noreaga could've certainly been a major asset either by dropping an invigorating 16 or lending a constructive hand in the final product.

Scarface, Devin the Dude and Raekwon do admiral jobs and put in quality work on the three joints in which they feature. Capone on the other hand seems as if he could've tried much harder. On several occasions 'Pone even mispronounces his own lyrics and it isn't even like he has a heavy foreign accent or some other excuse. I can't for the life of me understand where he went wrong. The subject matter in his songs are right where they should be. It just seems as though Capone's flow isn't where it needs to be. This album wouldn't even come across as a half decent demo tape.

Intro comes across excellently introducing the world to Capone the soloist. From there it goes South, figureatively and literally. On the extremely lacking Where The Stuff At C-Murder and Bun-B are disugsting. The beat and production is embarrasing. Noise. Diet Plan has the rugged feel 'Pone was looking for but his lyrics elicit diliberate yawns. F#@k Yo Set is curiously weak. U So Craaazzzy is a shout out to Black universities or something. Everything else is average except a few minor exceptions.

Frank Nitty produces the albums only gem in Streets Favorite which is unfortunate because he also produced Where The Stuff At. Capone rides Streets Favorite effortlessly, as he should have been doing all along. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Raekwon is direct, to the point and on par with what is expected of 'Pone. No Where To Run got Scarface up to his same old consistent self, delivering a sharp 16. Kudos nigga. I'm Gone featuring Devin the Dude and Butch Cassidy is tight as well if nothing else.

"Yes yes, I'm back with a vengeance/ my spot solid like a rock like Ashford and Simpson/
only death can stop me/ came in the game with poppy/ now feel the wrath of a solo nigga,
music for hustler niggas in the lobby/ to mamis in them Seven jeans and White girls with Black girl bodies/ and beautiful Black ones that like to poli/ they thought they could count me out, do the math homie/ survived the fittest this business turned killers mad phony/ I rapped for the vultures to rich motherfuckers who sniff coke off cup coasters/ I reach alot of niggas, bring the beast up out of niggas/ then bitches what to fuck me 'cause they know my gangster's authentic no gimick nigga trust me/ C- Murder showed love, Bun-B showed love, Raekwon showed love, who I fuck with is all love" off the Intro is certainly apt.

And off of What's My Name (Soldier's Story) 'Pone spits "An OG once told me you get it how you live/ if you don't get it in this lifetime you then get it by your kids/ if you don't get it by your kids you goin' get it by your grandchild/ I put in work the main reason why I can't smile/ I sold records did time, drove reckless live crime, no neckless, still shine/... if they talking 'bout somebody shot him, that's me/ the 411 or who got the best product, that's me/ who could take it from the top to the bottom, this year I'm the motherfucking problem/ I hand out beatdowns, I smoke by the jar, you could feel how I feel, it's murder by the bar/ by the song, you could tell who I am who we are/ militia, known to bop on willy feds like a spar/ I might ride around with a Tommy in the car/ a teflon vest on feeling like a star/ the heaters get best warm, aim up to par/ say my name I plan to leave this game with a scar." Not very impressive.

Rating: 6 Silver teefs
Buy or Copy: Do yourself the favor and stay away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory