Sunday, October 03, 2004

Beanie Sigel, The Truth (2000)

The toughest beat Kanye West ever blessed a track with was possibly the freestyle artists' classic, The Truth. Beanie rips it up too, rapping about how he raps about what he really does. This is a classic record, building expectations from the Roc's general.

The rest of the album may disappoint many hardcore rap enthusiasts as it sounds overly commercial. Still, somehow, Sigel managed to keep his lyrics away from the corny, soft stuff you wouldn't expect Beans to produce.

On the intense Die, Beanie talks about the ways death visits many people who might live his lifestyle. This is on repeat in my disc player, it's heavy. With no hook, Beanie spits "die 'cause a nigga pulled his Roscoe out quicker/ I was high of vodka, hydro and malt liquor/ die, cause I knew I should've layed that man/ die 'cause the cops tricked me to say 'that man'/ die, 'cause I hesitated to spray that man/die cause I hesitated to pay that man/ die cause my man passed me an empty tool/ die cause I panicked, I couldn't keep my cool/ die cause I mixed all them pills with Hennessey/ or die cause them niggas was jeal and envied me/ die trying to seal the fate of my enemy, I could go out from a case of mistaken identity."

Then there are the obvious radio friendly tracks featuring Jay-Z. There's also a sing-songy track with Eve and the bonus track is a Jay-Z joint that played on the radio for a couple of weeks. Mac And Brad, featuring Scarface, is a battle track where the two go back and forth apparently freestyling. Nothing to write home about. But some saving graces to the album are What A Thug About and Who Want What, featuring Memphis Bleek.

Not a bad first album.

Rating: 7 Gold Teefs.
Buy or Copy: Buy, tracks like Die, The Truth and Mack Man are definately worth your dollars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory