Sunday, February 13, 2005

Busta Rhymes, When Disaster Strikes (1997)

Busta Rhymes’ sophomore album flaunted the overt change in his rap style from deep, demented, and crazy to hip-pop, dance club musician. He caught the hip hop community off guard with the high energy Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See and backed that up with Dangerous, his two singles for the album. This plastic disc, When Disaster Strikes, flew off store shelves. Add to that a base heavy P. Diddy number, The Body Rock featuring Rampage, Mase and the super-duper producer, we know exactly what audience Busta was aiming at… the ones with the money.

Still yet, the album did come fully equipped with a few hard core joints. So Hardcore is one such example with Busta bragging “Yo, I walk through brick walls/ fuck around, highjack your whole shopping malls/ I be ripping shit, that’s my word’s bond/ Scream then I watch the whole planet Earth respond/ do just what your told, the remote control/ crash course your shit, Jell-O how we mold/ when I crumble and dry then you reply, Why Why Why, Why Why Why!!!!!!/ yo, I execute all plans/ when I bring two bitches for me and my man/ [Ha!] breaking fool/ [Ha!] for my fans/ in return niggas give me the [Ha!] sound scan/ [Ha!] strike matches, golden eggs hatches/ request line is open, send all your faxes/ freaks the flow with no rehearsing/ rollerskate backwards when the beat start reversing/ you so wack you make people start cursing/ flows contradict worster than the King James version/ turn on your mic but your shit will stop working/ beats brutalize your whole rhyme, your head hurting/ broomsticks and witches from rags to riches/ we get mad love while y’all niggas will burn bridges/ amateur, why won’t you look right at the calendar?/ a matter of, time before I start to damage ya/ so starving to just bust my rhyme caliber/ consecutive wounds like a nigga stabbing ya/ yo! My whole team get wild cream/ politicin’ every rule to the extreme!” That’s been his style from day one, but his cadence and flow is what brought him the success.

In addition, Get High Tonight is a song for you oregano tokers to enjoy. There’s Not a Problem My Squad Can’t Fix featuring Jamal is another one of those high energy tracks in the same vein as his singles. And Rhymes Galore is another attempt at Busta being hard.

This may not appeal to the fans of his first album, The Coming, but it didn’t sell a ton of copies for no reason.

Rating: 8 Platinum Teefs
Buy or Copy: Copy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory