Thursday, March 10, 2005

Canibus, 2000B.C. (Before Can-I-Bus) (2000)

Battle rapper extraordinaire Canibus starts busting his high energy raps from the door on The C-quel. The first joint, at the top of the track line-up has Bis spitting like he got something to prove. He did, after the failure of his debut album. Canibus’ formula for 2000B.C. is battle raps over less than impressive beats. Nothing radio friendly here for Canibus, just gung-ho lyrical artillery.

Everything on here has some redeeming lyrical content to it which makes it exponentially more puzzling as to why this man has never received the acclaim he deserves. Life Liquid, featuring Philadelphia’s own Journalist, has two emcees spitting immaculate verses about bloodshed. I’ll Buss ‘Em U Punish‘Em with Rakim is another crazy collabo. 100 Bars is coconuts!

The only slip ups on the album is Horsmentality featuring Kurupt, Rass Kass and Killah Priest with a few corny verses (all except from KP). It’s meant for the backpacking, underground rap lovers but it’s too raw with little lyrical support. And Phuk You, which is clever and witty but boring and give my skip button a work out.

I would quote Bis’ verse on 100 Bars but… so here’s the first verse to Lost @ “C”:
“Now when you see that big ass C you know I’m coming through/ and when you know I’m coming through you know what I’mma do/ I never said that battling me would be impossible, I just think it’s highly motherfucking improbable/ you talking to a nigga that could split molecules and sub atomic particles/ strong enough to stop a bull/ body slam two oxes and drop a mule/ urinating rocket fuel freestyling over gospel tunes/ rhymes by the thousands, rhymes for hours/ I could kick a rhyme longer than your whole album/ the kick boxer, beating the shit out of niggas proper/ I beat them ‘til they hollar, beat ‘em ‘til the cops come/ beating niggas ‘till they have seizures, beat ‘em till they start screaming/ like fax machines when they start receiving/ beat ‘em ‘til my own hands start bleeding/ beat ‘em til they lungs stop breathing and they heart stop beating/ from 12am to 12pm in the evening/ with 3 15 minute breaks in between ‘em/ good Jesus, that’s a real West Indian beating/ that’s what you get for fucking with this lyrical demon/ my bloodstream’s been, contaminated for eons/ I got cast out of heaven for treason/ got cast out of the Garden of Eden for letting the reptilian beast in/ got locked up for a DUI in speeding/ a whole legion of half decent emcees will get released when, they spit 100 bars for their freedom/ see I’m much too nice to compete with, too nice to flow over beats with, too nice to hold the m.i.c. with/ on some diesel Hercules shit, I cold flip and start to punch trees until they leafless/ inhale with two real deep breaths, hold my breath ‘til the whole planet suffocates and then release it.”

This album is serious and deserves all the credit in the world.

Rating: 9 Platinum teefs… if you appreciate real raps.
Buy or Copy: Buy… if you appreciate real raps.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Hey there,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I know a little about hip-hop, but am looking forward to reading more about it.
Cheers,
Jennifer

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory