Friday, November 12, 2004

Black Moon, War Zone (1999)

To some fanfare, Black Moon released a much anticipated 'back together' album. This is the manifestation of all the anticipation. The first part of the album, with hits like Onslaught featuring Busta Rhymes, War Zone, This is What it Sounds Like, and Come Get Some featuring Louieville, is a true banger but then things get tame.

Showdown featuring Q-Tip is a happy sounding song with the hardcore Buskshot spitting and Q-Tip doing the hook. It sounds corny as hell. It's not all downhill however, as One-Two is a tough track with a heavy beat, Two Turntables & a Mic is a throwback track giving praise to the b-boy and in the park days over a Heartbeat sample, and Annihilation featuring M.O.P. and Teflon is a rough Brooklyn collaboration.

"Got all these stressed out niggas with firearms/ prepare, get ready, they 'bout to bomb/ first one hit, usually an innocent civillian/ shot by the elevator, dead up in the building/ I'm illin off the chill I got/ threw my spine last night when I heard a shot/ took flight, 'cause I knew that the gods was right/ telling me you gonna make it when it's hard in life/ and the stripes that you gain through the streets is pain/ no matter how many motherfuckers is slain/ hold your head son, maintain/ fuck getting the tumor in your brain, motherfuck the rumor, or you on cain/ simple and plain, life, piece of the pie/ is to hussle and get yours nigga, I can't lie/ I'm addicted to the high life/the wild life, make the stress go by easy when I bomb right" Another one of Buckshot's easy to smoke something to verses. This one is from Weight of the World. On this same song, 5ft kicks "The weight, of the world is on my shoulder/ but everyday I wake I find myself, I'm getting boulder/ as I annihilate, plus dominate figuring weight to rise up like a Republican primin'/ in the bomb state of thinkin'/ sometime life is like quicksand if not watching your step you end up sinking/ so pay close attention, don't be blinking/ 'cause you might miss the entire point of the words that we speaking," obviously not on Buckshot's level but that's expected.

All things considered, the group knows how to make albums. Although there's nothing great here, it's good rap music.

Rating: 6 Gold Teefs, an average album by all accounts.
Buy or Copy: Nothing groundbreaking here, make yourself a copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory