Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Black Moon, Total Eclipse (2003)

When you think Black Moon or anything related to Buckshot, the groups' lead vocalist, you think hard hitting raps you can roll something and smoke it to. It always seems to deliver and Total Eclipse is no exception. Here, the 5ft has so few appearances you can count the number of verses he has on the whole album on one hand (and Lord knows how little impact DJ Evil Dee makes on their work these days). It's pretty much all Buckshot here folks, but he doesn't disappoint.

"Industry rule number ten thousand and eighty/ record company niggas are shady baby/ definately, never maybe/ or have to be a pain in the ass like 'fuck you, pay me'/ crazy, picture me slippin'/ like a broke transmission/ I got both positions, I own both the missions/ I write poems for commissions/ I'm the leader for the squad when the gods in a hard predicament/ like, got a hot group and need they contracts right/ or got jerked for your publishing last fight/ now you wanna act tight, lemme give you advice/ it don't matter if you that nice/ 'cause the bottom line is the kind of mind not the kind of rhyhm/ signed and sealed delivered, delivered and signed/ right now I know you wanna get yours/ I'm out my prime so I gotta get mine before I'm out my mind." Vintage Buckshot wordplay as displayed in the forementioned example on Confusion; obviously a song about people's understanding of the business side of the rap game.

Naturally, Buckshot brings his in-house (his Boot Camp Click and Duck Down Records entourage) talent along for the ride. Featuring along side Buck, 5ft and Evil Dee are Starang Wondah, Tek and Steele, and Sean Price. As usual, they do the job effectively. Underground backpackers, and long time Brooklyn weed heads know how BCC does.

"You cowards think we going out? no way/ you catch Steele off point nigga, no day/ nigga for spray, fuck fore play, I don't play/ you ain't having it? you gangsta? you don't say?/ word B? You wanna go to war with me? okay/ no more Mr. Nice Guy, come with me/ gun hid away in the hide away when I ride your way/ hit you up then cool and casually slide away/ by the way, you hardly find me outta haze/ these days alot of these rapper rather imitate/ what I demonstrate, boy I'm original/ criminal, set trends, respect the generals/ I ain't mad atcha, I take business personal, I might blast at ya/ hit at me, I get right back atcha/ straight snatch you up from under your desk and just pimp slap ya!" That's Steele's verse on No Way. Knowing most Steele fans, they're high half way through that verse!

Another solid and consistent Boot Camp showing. You know what you get when you hit up the Click at your record store, no doubt about it.

Rating: 8 Platinum Teefs
Buy or Copy: Hard beats, tough rhymes... why not? Buy it!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory