Friday, October 01, 2004

Amil, All Money Is Legal (2000)

The Amil project looked like it had much potential with all the exposure she was getting from her Rocafella label mates. Her guest appearances, although nothing particularly stelar, were everywhere a Jay-Z or Memphis Bleek song was. Apparently she was primed to succeed. This album, although for some reason not a big seller, is well put together with supreme production and great lyrics, everything you'd expect from Rocafella. However, subsequent to this album, Amil was dropped by the label. Go figure.

The subject matter went away from your typical braggadocio, rims and diamonds, that we're used to hearing from the Roc. Mostly, Amil raps about her personal struggles with trying to survive and get on emotionally. Some ill Jay-Z verses and a couple party tracks like I Got That featuring Beyonce, give this album a little bounce.

On Heard It All, Jay-Z freaks, "I thought you ain't like rap, you was deceiving me/ All you do all day is watch BET/ Act like you ain't recognize me when you met me in the ride/ mispronouncing my name and squinting your eyes/ you shouldn't play games with a pimp like I/ now that I gamed you I'm supposed to sympathize?/ yeah I know you hate parties and never go out/ yeah I know you a nun and you stay in the house/ yeah I know well, can you please do me a favor?/ how you been with three rappers and six ball players?/ tell me that shit, we both gaming each other/ lying through our teeth just for blaming each other"

Amil is no slouch with the pen either. She says " I'm 98 a gram leaving addicts nice/ I get 5, you don't get half a mic/ been known to cut ass for the added hype/ and I pop too much shit to be the marriage type/ get spoiled even when I'm not acting right/ can't nobody come with the style I bring/ piece hanging from the chain just dangling/ Motorola 2-way so the cell don't ring/ crush R&B and I don't even sing" on All Money Is Legal, the album's title track.

This album has some groove and it is a little sleeper, but it tires quickly. It's not something that will stay in your player, but you won't want to throw it away either.

Rating: 6 Gold Teefs
Buy or Copy: Save some bread, find a copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory