Thursday, December 09, 2004

Boot Camp Clik, For The People (1997)

Headz Are Reddee PT. II was the underground hit back in nine-seven that brought the BCC to the fore-front. Things were good for the group back then, just on the precipice. They were about to blow, everyone in the Camp could feel it. Smif-n-Wesson, the Originoo Gun Clappaz and Heltah Skeltah, which accounted for 8 of the 9 members, were coming off of great selling albums. This album was to make the fame and the fortune all come to fruition. Instead of flourishing, they fluttered. It was all f'd up.

Diversification, it sounds like a financial term, but that was the For The People strategy. Hard raps, radio friendly club joints, and even a reggae/ska influenced song rounded out the vast entries on this album. It's hard to imagine this all star line-up failing like they did. Exactly what missed, however, was indeed that very same diversification. Like all Brooklynites such as myself keep hearing, they should've kept it "real, son".

On Illa Noyz, Rock, of Heltah Skeltah, spits "Yo! Who's this dufus, thinking they ruthless?/ Rock leave you toothless, now you sound and look stupid/ you get your head spun around like a screw just/ for being the only girl in the town full of men like Smurfette, that lil blue bitch/ think I'm foul?, fuck your momma smack her if she never warned you 'bout a walking bomb with a timer/ alright, line your boys up, that's a fair one, ask Illa Noyz/ [yup, yup, yup] like my little nephew, I break toys up."

Like most rap songs, there are lots of shit talking to go around, but there's also a nice mix of various other topics like the Ohkeedoke where the Camp explains the shit out there that can get some men caught up such as "when shorty calling you and she bleedin'" or being locked up with niggas behind you all the time. Many of the tracks were composed with live instruments, from what I remember hearing, as opposed to being synthesized (had something to do with sample clearing and budgeting issues). There are alot of innovations going and it is fresh.

On Last Time, the project's last song, a solemn Buckshot raps "There used to be a rumor about BDI/ I wouldn't come back, I tell you no lie/ but when I listen to the radio I think/ whenever I'm back, I'm bound to make a link with the music that used to make me jam and jump/ thump while the bass bump/ tell the dj throw on the wax that's playing the therapy mix/ you said it was aiight, we made a remix/ licks after licks take ticks off the time clock/ BD buck a shot, take it to the top/ see I'm bound to make your body pop/ one nation under a groove see my beat'll never stop/ when I heard about the beef between the East and the West coast/ called my nigga Kurupt, I knew it was boast/ they hope a nigga end the music with this bomb, so I prepared, load my arms and wait, 'cause this is the last time." It kind of sums up the whole BCC ambience after this album didn't do too well.

Rating: An adequate 6 Gold Teefs
Buy or Copy: Copy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory